-->
No-Knead: Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin Bread

No-Knead: Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin Bread

t ever have any tasty drama to go along with the tasty recipes I post No-Knead: Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin BreadUsually, I don't ever have any tasty drama to go along with the tasty recipes I post. This post will change that! I made this bread last week, and if any of you follow me on Twitter you might've seen my constant tweets about my oven being a brat! It all started when I tried to make soft pretzels. One minute the oven is working fine, proofing dough on the "warm" setting, and just being awesome. Then an hour later when I go to preheat it... NOTHING! No beautiful orange glow in the bottom, no silent roar of gas pumping up the heat... NOTHING! So I call my dad, I'm almost in tears. I have these perfect balls of dough all portioned out and ready to be turned into pretzels, but no oven to bake them in. He says he'll have to order a part to fix it, so I put all my dough back into a bowl and stick it in the fridge (praying that pretzel dough will survive the chill). About an hour later, I'm just curious and I flip the oven on. What do you know! The freakin thing comes on as if nothing was ever wrong. HELLO!?!?! WHY!?!? Thank you, oven, for being a jerk! I baked the pretzels, and they came out fine. That post is coming later, much later.

So the next day... or was it a few days later? I can't even remember now. Anyway, some time later I made the dough for this no-knead bread, not even thinking about my oven being a little on the psychotic side. I made the dough a day ahead. The next morning I got up at 9am to add the raisins and put the dough in the pan for the final proofing. When I'm ready to preheat my oven... of course you've probably figured out where this is going... I turn the knob and wait... and wait... and wait. I turn around and look at this perfectly risen bread in the pan on the table. I almost cry! All this work, and it's going to be ruined! Then a lightbulb comes on in my head. NEIGHBORS! They have ovens! Surely, their ovens must work! So my mom gets on the phone with our closest neighbor, and he's siked to help. Josh had spent the night at my house, so he's there and walks with me to the neighbor's house. He's holding the umbrella, I've got the almost over-proofed pan of dough. Did I mention it's pouring down rain? It's practically a monsoon. In the time it takes us to walk about 50 feet, we are both soaked. It seems like umbrellas are about as reliable as ovens, but I digress.

It's time to make a long story short. I baked the bread in his oven. It turned out delicious, and I owe my fabulous neighbor, Doug, and HUGE thanks! You're a life bread-saver! ;D

EDIT: It seems I left out an important bit of information! My dad fixed my oven! My oven and I are starting to work on our trust issues. Give us time, and I'm sure we'll be back to our old selves*! (*=not a word)

The dough looks much like a batter at first.t ever have any tasty drama to go along with the tasty recipes I post No-Knead: Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin BreadSorry I didn't get many picures of the bread-making process. As you can imagine, I was under a lot of stress, thanks to my oven! Here's the end result... Mmmm!t ever have any tasty drama to go along with the tasty recipes I post No-Knead: Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin Bread
I know this recipe seems like a lot of work, but it's actually not. It's very simple, and you can adjust the times to suit your schedule. The end result is fabulous, and you'll be so proud of yourself! :D

Everyday Oatmeal Honey-Raisin Bread (from Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads by Nancy Baggett)
Yield: 1 large loaf, 12 to 15 slices
“Because this dough includes cinnamon, which contains a yeast inhibiting chemical, the recipe calls for slightly more yeast than normal.”


2 3/4 cups (13.75 ounces) unbleached white bread flour, plus more as needed
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking (not instant) oats
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 1/4 teaspoons instant, fast-rising, or bread machine yeast
1/2 cup clover honey or other mild honey
2 tablespoons corn oil or canola oil, plus extra for coating dough top and baking pan
1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon ice water, plus more if needed
1 cup dark raisins, rinsed under warm water, then drained well and patted dry
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar for garnish

FIRST RISE: In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, and yeast. In another bowl or measuring cup, thoroughly whisk the honey and oil into the water. Thoroughly stir the mixture into the bowl with the flour, scraping down the sides and mixing to blend well. If the dough is stiff, stir in enough more ice water to soften it slightly; the dough should not be dry or overly stiff, as the oats draw up moisture. Brush or spray the top with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. If desired, for best flavor or for convenience, you can refrigerate the dough for 3 to 10 hours. (For convenience, I refrigerated mine for 8 hours.) Let rise at cool room temperature (about 70°F) for 12 to 18 hours. (I sat mine out overnight for 12 hours.)

SECOND RISE: Stir the dough vigorously, adding in the raisins until evenly incorporated. Stir in enough more flour to yield a hard-to-stir consistency. (I think I added about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups of flour. It was still sticky, but very hard to stir.) Using an oiled rubber spatula, fold the dough in towards the center all the way around. (I didn’t do this. Instead, I floured my hands and shaped the dough into a tight ball.) This organizes the gluten for shaping the dough into a loaf. Invert the dough into a generously greased 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
Brush or spray the top with oil, then using an oiled rubber spatula or fingertips, smooth out the surface and press the dough evenly into the pan. Using a well-oiled serrated knife or kitchen shears, make a 1/2-inch deep slash lengthwise down the loaf. Cover the pan with nonstick spray-coated plastic wrap.

LET RISE USING ANY OF THESE METHODS: For a 1 1/2- to 3-hour regular rise, let stand at warm room temperature; for a 1- to 2- hour accelerated rise, let stand in a turned-off microwave along with 1 cup of boiling-hot water (I used this method, and it took about 50 minutes for me); or for an extended rise, refrigerate, covered, for 4 to 24 hours, then set out at room temperature. When the dough nears the plastic, remove it and continue the rise until the dough extends 1/4-inch above the pan rim. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar garnish over the top.

BAKING PRELIMINARIES: 15 minutes before baking time, place a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 375°F.

BAKING: (At this point, I gave my neighbor instructions to bake it for 35 minutes, then cover with foil and let it go for only 20 more minutes. When I got to his house, the bread was already cooling, so I didn’t get a chance to check the internal temp. But the bread was VERY brown so I knew it was done, maybe slightly overdone.) Bake on the lower rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the loaf is well browned. Cover with foil, and continue baking for another 30 to 40 minutes more. Begin testing occasionally with a skewer inserted in the thickest part, until it comes out with slightly moist particles clinging to the end (or until the center registers 208° to 210°F on an instant-read thermometer). Bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer to ensure the center is baked through. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn the loaf out onto a rack; cool thoroughly.

SERVING AND STORING: Serve cool, or toasted; the bread doesn't slice well until completely cooled. Cool thoroughly before storing in plastic or foil. Keeps at room temperature for 3 days. May be frozen, airtight, for up to 2 months.

VARIATION: OAT-WHOLE WHEAT HONEY-RAISIN BREAD—Instead of 2 3/4 cups white bread flour, use 1 3/4 cups white bread flour (plus more if needed) and 1 cup whole wheat flour.


Baca Juga
SHARE

Related Posts

Subscribe to get free updates

Post a Comment